You can make a recommendation for anyone whose work you'd like to recognize like a colleague, co-worker, or student. If a contact requests you for a recommendation, the request will be sent to you via email or through a message under the Messages icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage or profile page.
- Go to the profile of the 1st-degree connection you'd like to recommend.
- Move your cursor over the Down arrow next to the button in the top section of the profile. The button name may vary.
- Select Recommend.
- Follow the steps to write the recommendation.
- Click Send.
- Go to your profile.
- Move your cursor over the Recommendations section and click the Manage button on the right.
- Click the Give recommendations tab at the top of the page.
- Search for a connection to recommend by typing their name in the text box under Who do you want to recommend?
- Follow the prompts to write the recommendation.
- Click Send.
Note: This is applicable only if you have a Recommendations section on your profile. Alternatively, you can go to your Privacy Settings page, and click Manage your recommendations.
- Open the email and click the Write Your Recommendation button. Note: This will take you to LinkedIn.com.
- You may be prompted to sign in.
More information about recommendations:
- You can edit or withdraw recommendations you've sent at any time.
- When you give a recommendation, the other person can see it by clicking the Received link in the Recommendations section of their profile. You can see the recommendation by clicking the Given link in the Recommendations section of your own profile. Either one of you can choose to hide the recommendation.
- Recommendations can only be displayed on your LinkedIn profile if they're requested through LinkedIn. You can't add an email or other type of message as a recommendation.